How We Work
How We Work
Funding, eligibility, priority
The Ministry of Health (MOH) provides funding for both acute (urgent, short-term) problems and for long-term disabilities.
We try to attend to acute prescriptions as soon as possible.
The Crown sets budgetary limits and priority rules. These regulate the funding made available for the provision of publicly funded services. This means services are prioritised. Unfortunately, those with a low priority may have to wait. We do not set these priorities, but we must administer them as a condition of our service contract.
These priorities do not apply to private or ACC clients.
1. These categories are top priority for Crown funding:
- For an acute/serious medical or surgical condition
- For inpatient discharge from a Crown hospital
- Due to skin breakdown or serious pressure area
- For clients whose safety is at risk
- Children needing support for joint alignment and skeletal integrity
2. These are second priority:
- First issue orthoses/supports/footwear
- Repeat orthoses or footwear when no other is available
3. These are lowest priority:
- Second pair of footwear
- Second orthoses/supports
If you are still unsure if your treatment will be funded or paid for by yourself privately
Please check our Q & A section on referral types for further clarification.